Smooth carrot soup laced with ginger, orange and garlic. So easy and healthy too!
Roasted Carrot and Ginger Soup
- 2 lbs. carrots, peeled and cut into ½” thick coins
- 3 Tbsp olive oil, divided
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 1 large onion, diced
- 3 celery stalks, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- ½ tsp minced fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1 - 400 mL can coconut milk
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Place the carrots on a parchment-lined baking sheet and drizzle with 2 tablespoons of the olive oil. Season with ½ teaspoon salt and toss together until the carrots are evenly coated with the oil. Roast until tender and slightly blistered, about 45 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat the remaining oil and butter in a large Dutch oven or saucepan set over medium heat and cook the onions and celery until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and ginger and cook for an additional minute. When the carrots are cooked, add them to the pot and cover with the chicken stock and coconut milk. Bring the soup to a boil, cover, lower the heat and simmer for 45 minutes.
- Puree the soup with an immersion blender, or regular blender, until smooth. Return to the stove and set the pot over low to keep warm. Season with additional salt and pepper, if desired.