Thank goodness beets have finally started to gain the popularity they so deserve! Long gone are the days when beets were only served after being boiled, or pickled. Today, every good restaurant features their own version of a beet salad, often with goat’s cheese.
We know that beets are one of the easiest veggies to add to a salad. Peel them with a sharp paring knife and slice into bite sized pieces, raw. Alternatively, you can grate beets to add into your salads. Take care to add the beets at the end, just before serving to avoid staining the other ingredients in your dish. While this will not affect the flavour, it might detract from the overall presentation. But add them at the end, and you’ll create something that tastes and looks amazing!
- 1 cup cooked quinoa or other grain
- 2 cups arugula washed and spun dry
- 3 small beets raw. Peeled and cut into bite sized pieces.
- 2 tbsp red onion finely diced
- 2/3 cup of fresh blueberries
- 1/2 cup goats cheese crumbled
- 1/2 cup chopped or halved walnuts OPTIONAL
- Build your bowl with the cooked quinoa on the bottom.
- Then top with arugula, onion, beets, blueberries, cheese and nuts.
- Enjoy with a light vinaigrette dressing or a drizzle of balsamic glaze.