Agricultural Heavy Equipment Mechanic
Who We Are
Gwillimdale Farms is family owned/operated, based just 10 minutes from downtown Bradford. We here at Gwillimdale Farms do more than just grow vegetables, we are growing our business. We supply our produce both locally and abroad, working in tandem with food manufacturers, retailers, food service providers, and wholesale distributors. We believe our biggest asset is our team. We are always striving to build a better team and better work environment through continuing efforts in the areas of safety, education, and personal development.
The Agricultural and Heavy Equipment Mechanic will be responsible for the maintenance of Gwillimdale’s farm operations fleet while demonstrating sound mechanical aptitude. This role reports directly to the Farm Operations Manager.
The ideal candidate will be a licenced mechanic and have experience with the repair and diagnostics of both large and small engines, tractors, tractor trailers, wheel loaders, and excavators, etc.
The successful candidate will be a team player with the ability to work well in a fast-paced environment, both independently and as a part of a team. This role will directly report to the Farm Operations Manager.
In this role, heavy shop tools are provided by the Company.
Typical hours of work: Monday to Friday 7:00 am to 5:00 pm. During the farm’s busy season (planting and harvest), there are planned blackout periods, no vacation can be booked during these periods.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Maintaining the farm’s fleet of agriculture, construction, and transportation equipment e.g., harvesters, tractors, trailers, lift trucks, excavators, pick-up trucks, tractor trailers, etc.
- Operate equipment and or use diagnostic equipment to diagnose, plan, and execute repairs.
- Inspect machinery and conduct preventative maintenance and repairs, based on a strong working knowledge of farm machinery and gasoline, diesel, and electrically powered motors to ensure agriculture equipment is safe and suitable for operations.
- Design and develop an annual preventive maintenance program including schedules and maintenance logs.
- Ensure that complete records of daily maintenance activities are maintained.
- Ensure external vendors are booked for annual maintenance and inspections, e.g., Liftow.
- Ensure necessary parts and supplies are ordered as required.
- Maintain maintenance tools and equipment to ensure they are safe, clean, organized, and in good working condition.
- Responsible for mentoring/training/guiding the Maintenance Technician.
- Adhering to company policies and safety regulations.
- Additional duties as assigned.
Skills and Qualifications
- A minimum of 5 years experience maintaining heavy farm equipment.
- Experience working on tractor trailers.
- Registered as a licensed Heavy Duty Equipment Technician / Heavy Duty Mechanic / Diesel Mechanic / Agriculture Equipment Technician (relevant tickets will be considered) is preferred.
- Possess a valid Ontario G Class Driver’s License with a clean driver’s abstract is required.
- Possess a valid DZ driver’s license is an asset.
- Any agricultural experience is a definite asset and should be highlighted in your application.
- Communication Skills: The ability to communicate clearly and concisely with fellow employees, vendors, department managers, and senior management through various forms of communication.
- Time Management Skills: The ability to manage time in a professional manner and prioritize tasks in order of importance.
- Problem-Solving Skills: The ability to quickly assess a situation and be decisive in solving it.
- Technical Skills: Licensed Heavy Equipment Mechanic or related is preferred.
- Ability to work well with internal departments, and with all levels of management and staff.
- Ability to work unsupervised and possesses initiative.
- Flexibility required to work long hours / weekends dependent on seasonal farming requirements such as Planting / Irrigation and Harvest.
- Ability to lift a minimum of 50 lbs.
- Combination of sitting, standing, twisting, walking, bending, squatting, kneeling, reaching.
- Use of ladders and stairs required.
- Occasional work outdoors in inclement weather.
- Manual and finger dexterity, control precision, and sound discrimination.