An onion tart could also be called a quiche. Whatever the name, it is a delicious recipe made with simple ingredients such as yellow onions, eggs and cream. Feel free to make this your own by adding in additional ingredients if you like, such as grated cheese, cooked chopped chicken, ham or fish, and other vegetables like bell peppers, tomatoes or even small broccoli florets.
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 8-9 large yellow onions sliced thin
- 1 shortcrust pastry crust thawed if frozen
- 2 large eggs
- 1 ¼ cup whipping cream 35%
- ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Salt and pepper to suit personal taste
- Melt butter and add oil in a large frying pan. Cook sliced onions, covered over medium heat for about 30 minutes. Stir occasionally to prevent them from sticking to the bottom of the pan. They are done when they are soft and lightly golden in colour, but not brown. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Roll out pastry dough and use to line a 9-inch fluted flan/quiche tin. A pie plate will also work. Line with parchment paper and fill with dried beans or baking beans to bake blind for 15 minutes.
- While the pastry is baking, beat the eggs and cream together in a large bowl. Then stir in grated cheese and season with salt and pepper. Fold in the onions.
- Remove pastry from oven and remove parchment and baking beans. Spoon the onion mixture evenly into the tart and bake for 25-30 minutes until lightly set. The top should ideally be golden brown.
Serves 6 as a meal