This luscious lemon cake is gluten-free, using mashed potatoes and ground almonds instead of flour, and couldn’t be more delicious. Feel free to stir in a cup of fresh or frozen cranberries to amp up the holiday flavour and appearance.
- 3/4 cup butter, room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 175 g ground almonds
- 1 cup mashed potatoes
- finely grated zest of 2 lemons
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- Optional: 1 cup fresh or frozen cranberries
- Powdered sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Butter a deep (3 inches would be best) 9-inch round cake pan, and line the bottom with a circle of parchment.
- In a large bowl, beat the butter and sugar until light and fluffy, then beat in the eggs one at a time, beating after each addition. Fold in the almonds, cold mashed potato, lemon zest and baking powder. Gently stir in the berries.
- Tip the batter into the pan and spread it evenly over the bottom. Smooth the top. Bake for 40-45 mins or until golden and springy to the touch.
- Let the cake cool completely, then dust with powdered sugar before serving.