No holiday meal would be complete without the accompaniment of potatoes, which is why we’ve created these clever Fondant Potatoes for you to enjoy! Also known as magical melting potatoes, when peeled and cut into 1 inch-thick chunks, these golden potatoes bathe in a pool of stock infused with garlic and butter. It’s really hard not to love this classic dish!
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 pounds Yukon gold potatoes, peeled, cut into 1-inch-thick slices
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 3 to 4 garlic cloves, peeled and smashed
- Heat oven to 450°F. Place melted butter in the bottom of a large bowl. Add the thyme, salt, pepper, and potato slices; toss evenly to coat them.
- Tip everything into a 9x13-inch metal baking dish. Roast potatoes for 5 minutes. Use a thin metal fish spatula to loosen potatoes and turn them over. Carefully pour stock into the pan and scatter the garlic cloves over the potatoes. Roast for 30 to 35 minutes more, until potatoes are fully tender.
- Remove from oven. Transfer to a serving platter and serve at once with any remaining cooking liquid, if desired.
A Y-shaped peeler works best for this recipe. For an everyday casual dinner, feel free to use the potatoes as they are when cut (slightly misshapen and not perfectly round).
For a special occasion or holiday meal, you can use the peeler to shape the potatoes into even cylinders (if you do this you will likely have more potato “waste” – please don’t discard these pieces… simply save them and fry them for breakfast or dinner the next day.