Who knew that beets and pasta would make such a tasty combo? This Creamy Beet Pasta recipe will add some serious colour and flavour to your table! Serve as a main or as a fun side dish.
- 3-4 raw beets (about 1 2/3 cup when cut)
- 4 cups cooked pasta of choice
- 3/4 cup ricotta cheese
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp salt plus a pinch of salt for cooking the pasta water
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts or slivered almonds
- Optional: Garnish with freshly grated Parmesan cheese and chopped fresh basil
- Scrub the beet or beets and put in a large pot. Cover with water by 1 to 2 inches.
- Boil until tender enough to slide a knife into the center with ease (about 45 minutes). If the water drops below the beet(s), add more and bring to a boil again. Once tender, drain and set aside until cool enough to handle.
- Cook the pasta in a large pot of lightly salted boiling water until al dente. Scoop up 1 cup of pasta cooking water and set aside. Drain remaining water.
- While the pasta cooks, remove the skin from the beets. Cut into quarters and put in a blender.
- Add ¼ cup reserved pasta cooking water to the blender along with the ricotta, olive oil, lemon juice, and 1 teaspoon salt and run until smooth.
- Transfer the pasta to a serving bowl or platter. Pour the sauce over the top and toss to coat well.
- Sprinkle the walnuts or slivered almonds over the pasta. If desired, garnish with grated Parmesan cheese and basil. Serve immediately.